Sunday, November 9, 2008

Recipe: Tomato-Onion Chutney


This is a recipe that took a little while to find and then a few adjustments to get it to where I like it. It is a popular Indian chutney found in all the Indian restaurants I have visited. The problem is that the variations are numerous and each one is a little unique.

I wanted to one that came close to one of my favorite Indian restaurants and I finally arrived at this one. Tomato-Onion chutney is a great relish. I often make it as an accompaniment for pakoras, but it works great on a number of Indian foods. It is also really good on hot dogs, hamburgers, bratwurst and other things where you might normally use an "American" relish. It may even be great on chourico, but really, what isn't?

I've used a variety of different kinds of onions in this dish and they've all worked.

Tomato-Onion Chutney

1/2 tsp peanut oil
2 TBS tomato paste (more or less, adjust it to what you like)

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp Indian chile powder (optional for heat)

1/4 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt
1 cup onions (finely chopped)

Place a small saucepan over low heat. Add the peanut oil.

When the oil begins to shimmer add the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, chile powder (if using), sugar and salt. Simmer for 1-2 minutes mixing well.

Mix in the onion and blend well. Remove from heat immediately and set aside for flavors to meld.

Serve as a side for most Indian food.
Recipe: Tomato-Onion Chutney from Chop onions, Boil Water by Henry Krauzyk http://www.choponionsboilwater.com

3 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for this. i have been searching for this recipe from a long time. Thanks a again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to help! I was searching for it for a long time before I found several recipes and used them to create the one that was closest to the Indian restaurants I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete