Saturday, November 22, 2008

Recipe: Chickpeas and Chorizo


Today, our world food that you can cook at home comes from the Iberian Peninsula. Chickpeas and Chorizo, (or Garbanzos y Chorizo as it is known in Spain) is a very popular tapas dish. It is one of those humble but fortifying dishes that the Spaniards and Portuguese are masters at creating. Trust me, I'm a fan of such foods and you are going to see many of them here.

Don't be discouraged if you can't find chorizo at your local market. You can find it online or you can substitute your favorite spicy sausage. That's what is great about simple dishes, they usually allow you forgiving avenues of exploration.

I have seen a great deal of variation in this dish. It can run the range from a simple preparation of little more than chorizo, chickpeas, onion, salt and pepper, to something a little more seasoned like the recipe below.
Chickpeas and Chorizo (Garbanzos y Chorizo)

20 ozs. chickpeas (cooked fresh or canned)
1 bay leaf
2-3 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 quart chicken stock
2 TBS olive oil (I use Portuguese)
1 large onion (chopped)
2-3 cloves garlic (chopped fine)
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1 lb. chorizo links
1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling

Place a large sauce pan over high heat, add the chickpeas, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.

Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the 2 TBS of olive oil, when it begins to shimmer add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and thyme and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Stir frequently, do not burn the garlic!

Add the chorizo to the onion, garlic and thyme mixture and cook. Flip the sausage frequently and stir the onions around so they don't burn (it's okay if they caramelize a bit).

When the skins of the chorizos darken and caramelize, remove them from the pan. Slice the links in 1" pieces and then reintroduce to the fry pan.

Remove the bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon stick from the simmering chickpeas. Add the chickpeas and broth to the chorizo and onions in the frying pan. Raise heat to high and simmer, stirring frequently.

Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpea mixture in the frying pan. This thickens it up nicely. Test for seasoning and adjust to preference.

When most of the liquid has been reduced, remove from heat. Toss in the chopped parsley and fold throughout.

Serve hot in bowls. Drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and serve with a hearty wine and crusty bread.

Recipe: Chickpeas and Chorizo (Garbanzos y Chorizo) from Chop Onions, Boil Water by Henry Krauzyk http://wwwm.choponionsboilwater.com

6 comments:

  1. Chorizo, not chourico? This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, I wanted to stay traditional with this dish so I stuck with the Spanish-style sausage. Either way it is a good recipe. I imagine I'll try it with chourico and maybe other spicy sausages. I can't see it hurting it at all. Plus with the way chickpeas disappear in my house it's a winner without any sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tried this recipe, yummy!! I reviewd it and linked it to your blog of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much Christelle! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Actually, you've got me craving it a bit now! Thanks for the link back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chorizo in Spanish, but if using Portuguese is chouriço.
    I am Portuguese and this food certainly reminds me of some of our Portuguese dishes over there...Thx for sharing the recipe...one of them we have like this not only uses chouriço also uses pasta and cabbage in the stew..is very nice.

    check this:

    http://www.vaqueiro.pt/upload%5CReceita/2001/a236afaf-a93a-4cef-9c6b-5772f0cb1f28.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ricardo!

    Thanks for posting. I'm aware of chorizo and chourico. My avo was from the Azores! In the town where I live chourcio abounds! I guess I probably buy a pound or two per week! That doesn't even count the amount I eat in the local Portuguese restaurants!

    Thanks also for the link! I have barro just like that at home for making Frango na pucara (sp?). If you care to offer any good Portuguese recipes, send them on!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete